Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Thanks a Lot, Mom!!

Someone told me today that I look like my mom.  It’s something I’ve heard before.  I always take it as a compliment, although I don’t really see it.  I know I have some of her features, but Mom was beautiful.  Crazy beautiful.  So while I discount the whole looks thing, I know there are many things that I’ve inherited from my mom.  And some of them are actually good…

Let’s start with that.  One thing that I hope I got from her is a sense of style.  No, I’ll never have the style she did, but I do love clothes.  And shoes.  And handbags.  And accessories.  Do you see the theme here?  Now, currently I live more in jeans, t-shirts, and boots.  It’s a necessary evil of living on a farm.  But I still put on makeup, fix my hair, and usually slip on a pair of earrings every day.  Mom always said, “If I ever leave this house without makeup, take me to the hospital, because I must be sick.” (Sadly, this ended up being a true story.)  While I will leave the house without it occasionally, I prefer to look my best whenever I’m in public.

Another plus is my love of home decorating.  Mom was a GENIUS when it came to this.  She just had a natural flair and talent for it. Mom could put together a room out of mismatched furniture, a few pictures, and her imagination.  I have to work at it, but I really love doing it.  Thank goodness I married a man who has the same tastes as I. 

Something else she gave me – dancing.  I love to dance.  I’m not great at it, but I love it.  Mom was naturally graceful, which I am not, but I do have rhythm.  When I’m home alone, I’m always dancing.  My daughter gets terribly embarrassed if I dance in public, so I try not to, although sometimes it’s tempting just because she does get embarrassed!  If I could have been anything I wanted, it would have been a professional dancer.

As I said, not all Mom’s “hand-me-downs” are positive.  The biggest one I wish she’d kept to herself is her poor dental health!  My mom was a fanatic about dental hygiene.  Brush, floss, go to the dentist twice a year…she did it all.  Yet, she still had major problems.  Mom had a partial as long as I can remember.  I had to be a baby when she first got it.  In later years, the joints in her jaw wore out and she had to have them replaced with titanium. (Go ahead and make any joke you wish about her wearing out her jaws – I’ve heard, and made up, more than you can imagine!)  I’m following suit.  I had multiple fillings when I was a kid, all of which are continually failing as they are prone to do after a number of years.  I’ve had teeth pulled, re-filled, root canals completed, and my wisdom teeth removed.  This week, I get to have yet another root canal, followed later by two extractions, one implant, crowns, and more braces.  It is never ending.  This wouldn’t be so bad, except I HATE the dentist.

Also, my hair.  UGH!!  I’ve always had flat, straight hair.  Once I had my child, it turned frizzy.  Once I started peri-menopause, it started thinning.  Now, it’s flat, frizzy, and falling out.  Wonderful…  I’d like to have at least ONE day before I day where I like my hair.  Just one.

What else did Mom “bless” me with? A weak stomach, a fear of others vomiting, a disdain for messy houses, and a wicked sweet tooth.

Now, before you start thinking I’m ungrateful or disliked my mom, I can promise I’m not.  I loved my mom.  She was a wonderful mother to me.  She was Tessa’s best friend until she died when Tessa was five.  She was my best friend, too.  And I miss her terribly.  So while I moan and complain about all the “bad genes,” I know I was and am lucky to have her as my mother.  Very blessed indeed.

So, thanks a lot Mom.  Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment