Sunday, January 10, 2016

So...Read Any Good Books Lately??

A friend of mine recently posted a list on Facebook that included different types of books to read during the new year. I was so excited! I absolutely LOOOOOOOVE to read. LOOOOOOOVE. My mother instilled in all her daughters the love of books. We were at the library every Saturday. In the first grade, I won an award for reading the most books the preceding Summer (sorry Laura Beth). So you see, I LOOOOOOVE to read. Clear enough?

I will read anything: books, magazines, newspapers, brochures, pamphlets, cereal boxes, , instruction manuals...you get the drift. I've had to re-learn how to eat a meal without a book in my hand. I thought about buying a Kindle, but I can't. I love the feel of the book in my hand. I love the smell of bookstores (especially used book stores), the heft of the physical book, the dog-eared pages. I love the feeling of opening a new book, excited to start the adventure. And I mourn when I reach the end of a beloved book.

I'm a end-of-the-book cheater, too. I can't help it. It's the whole "have to be in control" issue. But it doesn't ruin the book for me. Even if I know the ending, I can still enjoy the journey to get there! My favorite genre is Mystery. I like my magazines fluffy and entertaining, but my books dark and mysterious. I don't do many series of books, but I did get sucked in by the Divergent and Hunger Games books. I recently started the 5th Wave series. It seems that the "Young Adult" genre calls to me as well. Cause I'm still a young adult... ahem.

Anyhoo, you probably know where I'm going with this. I want to take this list and start a book club!! Here's what it looks like:






So, who's in?? If you want to participate, I'm going to start by recommending a book which might check off several boxes for you: The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. It is a beautiful book. You will see the pictures in your mind. If you're a regular reader, you know what I mean by that. This book is appropriate for adults and older children who can read longer books.

So...let's set our reading time for one week from tomorrow, which puts us at January 18. I'll come up with a set of questions for discussion.

I'm so excited about this!! I hope you will join me. Happy reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment