Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Pardon Me, But Have You Seen My Inspiration?


Sometimes, Inspiration eludes me.  It hides behind the curtains, in the closet, or under the bed.  It peeks at me from around the corner, taunting me, daring me to chase it until it gives up the idea tucked into its back pocket.  It’s a slippery little bugger, alright.

Today is one of those days.  I’ve searched everywhere: in the notes I sometimes write down; in my recollections of the funny or not-so-funny things that happened today; even in photos of past adventures.  It’s not there.  Tonight, Inspiration has left the building.  It’s climbed on the bus and headed to the next stop of the tour.  It may even be hiding out with Elvis.

What’s that?  You say Inspiration isn’t a tangible, living thing?  Oh, I beg to differ!  Inspiration is as real and alive and human as you and I.  It has its good days and its bad ones.  Some days it feels funny or silly and some days it’s quite serious.

Inspiration is fickle.   If you give it a lot of attention, it stays around, giving you vision and creativity.  It puts power in the words you write and gives them meaning.  If you ignore it, it leaves.  No “goodbye;” no “Dear John” letter…it just walks out the door and down the long, lonely path to nowhere.

Sometimes, if you let it know how much you need it, Inspiration will turn around and run back into your arms.  It will leap into your brain and fill it with the words you’ve been struggling to find.  It pushes the ignition button of your imagination.  It instills itself into your blood, running straight to your heart.

But tonight, Inspiration doesn’t want to play.  It needs a rest.  I’ve been using it a lot lately.   Tomorrow, I’ll read some of my favorite writers’ words, listen to my family’s loving banter, and watch the world around me.  Instead of chasing Inspiration, I’ll give it the space it needs.  Because sooner or later, it always returns.
 

"The greatest inspiration is often born of desperation."  Comer Cotrell

No comments:

Post a Comment