Wednesday, July 3, 2013

What Being an American Means to Me


I have never been a particularly sentimental person.  Oh sure, I cry when I’m sad and sometimes music might move me to swallow hard and tear up, but on the whole, I’m just not.  But even though I might not outwardly show it, I am a Proud American.

I love being an American.  I feel blessed to live here and I’m always proud of my country.  I don’t wear my flag on my sleeve, so to speak, but that doesn’t lessen my patriotism.  I don’t rally against the government or protest against policies I don’t agree with, but that doesn’t mean I don’t care.  I don’t push my politics or shove my ideals in people’s faces, but that doesn’t mean I don’t have convictions.

We display our flag 365 days a year.  We cover our hearts with our hands when we say the Pledge of Allegiance and listen to the National Anthem.  We pull over for funeral processions and say a silent prayer for the families.  We believe in an all-knowing God and are lucky enough to be able to send our daughter to a Christian school.  We vote.  We are Americans.

Don is a retired 21-year veteran of the Air Force.  He proudly served our country and two former Presidents.  He watched as fighter jets were deployed over Washington, D.C. on September 11.  He had friends killed in action.  He was in Desert Storm.  I could not be more proud to be married to him.

For me, being an American is not about shooting fireworks or grilling out or riding in a parade.  It’s not about hating our government or sitting on Wall Street or complaining about our politicians.  It’s not about insisting on all American-made products.  It’s not about the right to bear arms or reading the Constitution to suit our needs.

It is about family.  And faith.  And honor.  It is about freedom to choose.  And freedom to disagree.  And freedom to love.  It is about respect.  And courtesy.  And helping those in need.

Just like being a Christian, I believe that being an American is not what you say or how you say it or what you do.  It’s about how you LIVE.  It’s about setting the right example for your children and their children and their children.  It’s about sacrifice and blind faith.  It’s about believing even when you don’t think there’s anything to believe in.

This year, I will show my patriotism by doing the same thing I try to every day; by loving my family and my God and my country.  The rest is just icing on this big American cake from which we are all allowed to eat.

Won’t you join me?

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment