Monday, July 8, 2013

You Say You Want a Revolution?


I’ve always been lucky with waiting.  All of my current doctors, dentists, pediatricians and orthodontists are really good at getting us in at our scheduled time.  Although there was that one time my gynecologist left me waiting on the table wearing only a pair of socks* and a paper gown no bigger than a tissue while he hurried away to deliver a baby.  When I finally saw him at my rescheduled appointment, I told him I felt like I had been dumped on a date and that he at least owed me a dinner!  But I digress.

I bring up waiting times because today I faced the most dreaded wait of all…the cable man.  Our lovely girl, Macy, is a chewer.  A couple of nights ago, while Don and I were watching TV, I saw something going on out of the corner of my eye.  In the same instant that I realized she was chewing on the wire, the show we were watching disappeared.  Yep…she had chewed right through the cable wire.  Luckily, it was just the one that goes into the sunroom.  Can you imagine if we didn’t have ANY television for longer than a few minutes?  I shudder to think.

So, I call our provider this morning and request a service call.  I’m told they can send someone out anytime between 8-12 on Tuesday morning.  That’s fine with me.  We still have two other televisions that work just fine.  I go ahead and plan my day accordingly.

But then they call me back…they can come today!  Hurray!  And they can be there anytime between 12-4! Hurray!  Wait…what?  Huh…four hours…you can’t narrow it down any more than that?  There’s a lot I can get done in four hours.  I need to go to the grocery store and we need to clean Tessa’s room , not to mention I’m still trying to get the HVAC guy back out to complete our repairs.  Nope.  It’s a four-hour window, no matter how you look at it.

Guess what time he arrived?  That’s right…3:51 p.m.  He made it with exactly nine minutes left in that long, long time period.    Really, you couldn’t at least have told me it would probably be towards the end of that period?  I mean, you have a schedule, right?  You know what you’re going to be doing, right?

Sigh…I know these people are busy and it’s hard to plan exactly.  But when did our time become so unimportant?  What about those people who have to wait hours at the doctor’s office?  Is his time more important than yours?  I think not.

Here’s what we should do – let’s start a waiting revolution!  When we call to schedule any type of visit, let’s give THEM a time frame.  For example, call your doctor and tell the office you will be there sometime between 10-2.  And then show up at 1:59 demanding to be seen immediately.  Or call the cable company and ask them to wait outside your home for the entire afternoon and when you’re ready for them, you’ll let them in the house.

I can see this working for any appointment where we have to work.  Make the professionals have to conform to OUR schedules!  Take back our time!  Be in charge!!  Power to the people!!!!

Now if you’ll excuse me, I promised to make dinner tonight.  I plan on having it ready any time between 5-8 p.m…

*For you men, the purpose of the socks is two-fold: 1) it’s usually REALLY cold in those rooms; and 2) wearing socks makes us feel just a little less vulnerable.  Because covering our feet really takes away from the awkwardness of lying on a table with your feet up in the air, wearing nothing but a skimpy gown and trying to make small talk…

P.S. For any of you that might be, know or love a cable repair person, I’m sorry.  For many reasons.

Waiting for the Cable Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment