Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Great Outdoors


Come to find out, I’m the outdoorsy type!  I know – it surprised me, too!!

If you follow me on Facebook (and you should!), you might have seen the pictures I posted from our weekend getaway to Big South Fork Recreation Area.  I cannot recommend it enough.  That place is bee-u-ti-ful!  Having grown up in the East Tennessee area, I had always heard about Big South Fork, but had never visited.  Now, I don’t know if I’ll ever take a trip anywhere else.  And considering that I’ve been there twice in a 3-week period, I think that backs up my statement!

We had so much fun!  We hiked and hiked and hiked.  We saw beautiful rock formations, caves, lush forest and deer.  We climbed on rocks, raced down trails, and climbed steps that went straight up the hillside.  We drove miles of gravel road and crossed old, wooden bridges.  We rode bikes around our cabin and soaked in the hot tub.  We played and spent time together and relaxed.  It was HEAVENLY.

The best part was how much Tessa loved it.  She wore her new hiking boots and carried a backpack and climbed and slid and walked and ran and got dirty…you get the picture.  She was a carefree kid playing in the Earth.  A nature child. 

I loved it, too.  Every time I go on a hike, I remember how much I love it.  I don’t know why I don’t do it more often.  Probably because I’m always trying to stay ahead of the mess.  I think maybe I need to re-prioritize my life.  Put fun, healthy activities ahead of clean floors.  Time with my family ahead of laundry.  De-stressing ahead of emptying the dishwasher.

So instead of the shallow, clothes-addicted, luxury-needing, lazy girl that I’ve always been known as, I’m a farm girl who loves blue jeans and cowboy boots, hiking around mountains, working on the farm, and enjoying the outdoors.  Who knew??
 

No comments:

Post a Comment