Sunday, June 16, 2013

Father's Day


Today is Father’s Day.  A day to honor those men (or single moms) that bore us, raised us, or somehow inspired us.  Those who gave of themselves to make us the people we are today; whether in a positive or negative way; through hard work and good example, or through absence and heartbreak.

I was one of the lucky ones.  I have an awesome father.  A devout Christian man who loves unconditionally.  Someone who worked hard throughout my childhood and beyond to provide for those whom depended on him.  Someone who I know will be at my side without any hesitation, if I should ask.  I’m grateful to still have him in my life.

Not everyone is as lucky.  Some have lost their fathers to illness, tragedy or simply advanced age.  As I get older, this is happening in a more frequent basis.  Others lose their fathers emotionally.  I’ve seen this happen, too.  This is even more heartbreaking.  Families are being ripped apart.  Children are losing their childhood and fathers are losing their children and their children and their children.

It’s a sad world out there, my friends.  Our children are going to face things we never imagined.  I’m so grateful that my daughter has a father who is here, who shows her unconditional love, and who loves to be with her.  He reminds me so much of my own father. Because of this, I know our daughter will be fine.  She is loved.

Hug your loved ones.  Tell them often how much you love them.  Be present, not just there.  Love hard and love often.

Happy Father’s Day, Daddy.  I love you.  Happy Father’s Day, Don.  Thank you for being the perfect father for our daughter.  Happy Father’s Day, friends.  Be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment