Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Fresh Young Things


My husband has some fresh, young things hiding in his garage.  Beautiful girls, actually.  They sit quietly whenever I enter; trying to make sure I don’t hear them.  But I know they’re there. 

To expose these brazen women, I offer these photos:

 
This is the one we call Momma; it's her second time
brooding on the work bench.
 
This is Rosie.  She's one of our oldest hens.  As a
"mature mom" myself, I'm rooting for her!
 
Finally, Drumstick (yes, that's her name).  She's in the
hardware cabinet.  When the door is shut, she's
completely hidden.


 

We don’t know why they have chosen the garage to lay their eggs.  We have very few hens, actually, that use the laying boxes in the coop.  We have chickens in the goat house, chickens in the garage, and chickens under the pecan tree; only the “old-school” hens and rooster sleep in the coop.  I guess you could call us an open chicken commune.

So we should have a lot more chicks soon.  That will put us somewhere around 40.  I can see it now; when I get older and crazier and living in this old house, I will be known as the chicken lady.  I guess it’s better than the crazy cat lady.

The crazy cat lady (aka Lisa) with Tessa.
You're welcome. :-D
 

No comments:

Post a Comment