Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Year of Growing Older


I’ve had an epiphany of sorts.  Or maybe just a realization.  At the very least, a thought.

Here it is: this summer will be forever known as “The Summer of Growth.”  Actually, I’ll probably forget I called it that about two weeks from now, but since it’s in writing and ON THE INTERNET…because, of course, anything you read on the Internet is TRUE. Right?

Anyhoo…it has been made perfectly clear to me that my “little” girl is growing up.  Yes, I already knew that, but I mean REALLY growing up.  As in, making the transition from little girl to young lady.

And I don’t just mean physically, although that is definitely true.  She’s shooting up and out in all sorts of crazy ways.  I’m not even thinking about buying school uniforms until August, for fear she’ll outgrow them before school starts.  I was watching her in a bikini the other day and realized she has a figure!!  WTH???  When did THIS happen?!  At nine years old, I still looked like a little girl with the figure of a boy.

It’s also more than the emotional changes.  Yeah…the emotional.  You know what?  Let’s just skip that for today. You feel me? Word.

No, the thing I’ve noticed the most lately is the maturity.  The changing habits.  The new abilities.  For example, today she took a shower, dried off, got dressed, brushed her hair and teeth…basically got herself completely ready.  Now, I know this isn’t that big a deal; she IS nine, after all.  But usually I’m having to go behind her, reminding her to do this or do that, or prying her attention away from the television.  Today, she was ready in 20 minutes.  Folks, believe me when I say this is paramount to a bona fide miracle! 

She also has learned the joys of sleeping late during the summer.  Formerly known as “The Kid Who Never Sleeps,” she’s started staying up later at night and waking up around 9:00 or 10:00.  No more coming into Mommy’s room at 6:30 wanting breakfast!  No more loud talking before I’ve had my coffee!  I have time!  I have space!  Daddy and I actually get ADULT TIME!!!

One of the best things she’s started doing is feeding herself.  Which is great because I’m not always so willing to get my lazy butt off the sofa just to go fix popcorn.  Once I showed her how to put it in the microwave, how long to cook it, and how to get it out without burning herself, we were set!  She’s also learned how to use the washer and dryer and next I’m teaching her the finer points of the dishwasher!

Yes, watching them grow up is hard.  It’s always sad to see your babies become real people.  But anytime I start to feel that way, I remind myself that this is why I have a kid, especially a girl:  To do chores!!!

 
When did THIS happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment